Helping People With Problems

Help for Kids
If you think that a friend or family member might have a problem with alcohol, tobacco, or other drugs, there are many people who can help you. Your friends can be a good source of support, but to get any kind of additional professional help, you will probably need to talk to an adult.

If you can't talk to your parents, then try talking to a teacher, school nurse, counselor, pastor, or other trusted adult. In Lancaster County, call 717-299-2831 for more help. If it's bad enough to make you worried or upset, it's bad enough to need help.

You can't really make anybody stop drinking or using drugs on your own; all you can do is let them know how you feel and how you are being affected by their use. They have to choose to stop on their own.

Realizing You Are in Trouble
One thing you can do is to stop enabling the person. Enabling means that you protect the person too much, so that they never feel the consequences of their actions. Some examples include:
  • Helping them cheat
  • Loaning them money
  • Lying for them
  • Making excuses for them
At first it may seem like you are helping, but you end up protecting them so that they never realize how serious their problem is. When people stop enabling a person who has a drug problem, he or she is forced to face the facts.

Help for Adults
Help may be closer than you think. Dial one of the following numbers for assistance:
  • Al-Anon (for family and friends): 877-298-5027
  • Alcoholics Anonymous (AA): 717-394-3238
  • Compass Mark: 717-299-2831
  • Narcotics Anonymous (NA): 717-393-4546